The N7 Hurricane or Blood Pack Punisher are the the best SMGs for party members. They're not affected by recoil, weight, or accuracy concerns, so damage and firing speed are the only concerns. For similar reasons, the Ultralight Materials, Scope, and Recoil Compensator mods all have no effect on them. 6thLyranGuard (talk)
- If neither of those are available for any reason, the Tempest and Shuriken are good choices. That being said, I prefer the Hurricane over the Punisher for Liara, since the high DPS blends well with Warp Ammo and her unmatched ability to spam biotics. The Geth Plasma SMG might be worth a try, too. Terminator-HIX (talk)
- N7 Hurricane is generally my pick; I don't know whether it comes ahead of the Punisher or not but I just generally prefer it for looks. I usually go with the HV barrel and an extended magazine on squadmates; I've seen Liara take down an entire squad of Cerberus Assault Troopers with that gun. Then I go and issue Liara and EDI Scorpions, since the Hurricane is good enough against armored targets. That way I have a choice between More Dakka and mini-grenade launchers. DC19 (talk)
- The Hurricane and Punisher are also available from the very start of the game, opposed to the vanilla SMGs that you get throughout the game (Locust on Horizon only? WTF). This throws any notion of balance out of the window, but it helps you gameplay-wise. LeoJo (talk)
- Oh, come on, Leo. The Locust is barely useful in ME3 anyway, so it's not like you're missing very much. Terminator-HIX (talk)
What about the Geth Plasma SMG? Is it the best?
- No, because allies use SMGs as burst-fire weapons. The Geth SMG is a windup weapon that never reaches its maximum damage output in their hands because of how the AI uses it. RShepard227 (talk)
- Do any spin-up weapons get used properly by NPCs? Had the same problem with the Typhoon. - MA4585159 (talk)
- Really? I stick the Typhoon on every NPC who uses ARs- with characters like Garrus and Vega it tends to shred anything they're firing at. Granted, I have Garrus specced to where between his passives, the weapon mods, and his ammo power he's inflicting something like +250% damage to begin with. 6thLyranGuard (talk)
- That's because the Typhoon is already insanely powerful, especially on a character that doesn't have to worry about weight or recoil. It never achieves its full damage multiplier because Garrus fires, by my count, 7-10 rounds at most. RShepard227 (talk)
- I think he fires more than that. At least, I can remember a couple times watching him shooting through cover (while I was trying to use my Infiltrator to flank) and having a Red vs Blue Holy Crap, doesn't that thing ever run out of bullets!?! moment as he mowed down an approaching Atlas or Geth Prime by himself. 6thLyranGuard (talk)
- On what difficulty? Because I've never had a squadmate take down a Prime by himself. RShepard227 (talk)
- Normal difficulty (I think). It was against the first Atlas on the Grissom Academy mission: I sticky grenaded the thing and it was dead before the grenade went off, without having taken any damage from Shepard. 6thLyranGuard (talk)
So, the N7 Hurricane is more effective, what's wrong with the Blood Pack Punisher?
- Absolutely nothing. They're both pretty broken in the hands of squadmates, so you can't really go wrong either way. Terminator-HIX (talk)
- The Hurricane has a slightly faster rate of fire than the Punisher, but as Terminator-HIX said, you can't really go wrong either way. 6thLyranGuard (talk)